Monday, April 4, 2011

General Conference 2011

I just finished Pres. Monson's Biography and I'm so glad I did it before General Conference. You really get to know this man from almost every aspect. I couldn't put it down after a while. All the funny and spiritual stories. I loved our prophet before I read this book but after reading it I love and appreciate him and all the apostles even more. He he the example of living by the spirit and always acting on those promptings. I know I need to live my life like that and try to follow the spirit. The whole time I was reading this book though I could help but keep his family in the back of my mind, he would be gone for weeks at a time between work and his church calling. His family and especially his wife just kept on and never complained. His wife Frances is a HUGE example to me and how I need to raise my family a support my wonderful husband. He mentions in his book many times he couldn't have done it without his wife standing right next to him and supporting his work in the church. He had opportunities in his life that would have really helped his career and probably received more money, but he always asked the Lord which path he needed to take. Sometimes he was confused why the Lord told him to take the path that didn't quiet make sense. But always followed the Lord. Can you imagine if he had taken another path!? It could have set his life in completely different direction. Brian's Grandpa Bryson had President Monson as his Bishop when he was a youth and young adult. I was sitting right next to Brian as I was reading a short story about his grandpa. I turned to him and said, "I'm reading about your grandpa." Brian just chuckled for a sec then said, "Wait! What?" Kind of funny. But the one thing that really stood out in my mind the whole time reading this book, was that he didn't have an active father. He was lucky enough to have uncles around that stepped in to keep the priesthood in his life. If President Monson didn't have a fully active family growing up and he became Prophet, Then NONE of us have any excuses! I know he is a Prophet of God.


It's a great book, I really recommend it. :)


But on to conference. I didn't get to listen to every talk due to 2 small blonde's in my life :) But what I did hear I of course loved. I love how they continually give us counsel and guidance and lots of encouragement. My top 2 favorite talks though were Elder Scott's touching talk on his wife, family, and marriage. Very tear jerking. Second was Elder Holland, I've enjoyed his talks every conference for the last few years. It's almost as if he's speaking directly to me.


As usual General Conference never disappoints, and is always a success.

2 comments:

Jenny Alama said...

I agree. Conference is always amazing. Did you think it focused a TON on service and loving one another? Cause I did. And I really need to do that more. Maybe I can borrow that book sometime. I think I'd like to read it.

Teandra said...

I love the prophet. Frances is a huge example! He's been a GA for over 50 years! That takes sacrifice.

Blog Archive