Saturday, May 21, 2011

My shnoze!



On Wednesday I was having a pretty good day. I had carpool for preschool and then Melody and I came home. I was on the computer and she kept wanting me to come sit with her and watch her show. So I got off the computer for some good old snuggle time. Now with my huge 37 week prego belly snuggling isn't the easiest thing. I tried to get her to snuggle to the side of me but she wasn't having any of that! Melody (being my child, meaning she knows what she wants and don't stand in her way!) sat right in the middle of the my lap and kept wiggling trying to find a comfy spot with my belly in the way. Then out of no where she jumped up while I was looking down. WHAMO! Her head went right into my nose. I heard and felt a crack! It hurt soooo bad! Melody started to cry, (I hope her head hurt too!) I think she was upset to see Mommy in pain too. I couldn't stop crying. So I tried texting Brian, because I knew I would cry harder if I had to talk to him. (I blame hormones :) I eventually had to talk to him and the water works really started. Plus my Mom happened to have called too and I started crying more. Dang hormones! Brian left work when my nose started to bleed. I had to pick up kids at preschool so I sucked it up and picked up kiddos. But when Brian got home I decided to head to instacare. The doc there didn't want to x-ray me, since I was pregnant. He just said to come back in a few weeks if it was still bothering me. But I know it's safe to have x-rays when your pregnant, I've have dental x-rays this pregnancy and my doctor said it was fine as long as I had the lead vest on. So I insisted on getting them done NOW! He finally agreed and off I went. One of the positions they wanted me in to take the x-ray was on my belly, that was interesting trying to get. But after the doc looked at my x-rays he said, "Oh, I guess it is broken after all, and you have a deviated septum too" Oh brother, thanks a lot! He really couldn't give me any more advice, other than to go see an ear, nose, and throat doc. The rest of that day I had quiet the head ache and just tried to rest and ice my nose. My friend Kristy called me (not knowing what had happened) and asked if I had a cold. Nope, just broke my nose! :) I got into the ENT doc the next day, he poked and hurt me. (and I paid him to do that!) But said nothing was displaced, just a crack down my nose, and the deviated septum looked ok. I could breath through my nose just fine. I'm sooooo happy he didn't have to put anything back in place. I guess they would normally sedate you for that, but being pregnant they couldn't do that. So they would just have to numb my nose as best they could and I'd grin and bare it! Such a blessing that it was minor. I just have to live with a swollen and bruised nose for a few weeks. I tried taking pictures but you really can't tell a difference. I know when it comes to broken noses I'm really lucky. It's been about 5 days and it still is soar and slightly discolored. But I'm on the mend, just in time for my C-section! Brian and I were thinking back, and since January we've had a strange medical year.....and it's not even June! Lets hope and pray this was the tip of the iceberg and we'll have nothing but smooth sailing for the rest of the year!

2 comments:

The Steeds said...

I am so, so, so sorry! That does not sound like fun at all. Hope you mend well and really quickly. Take care and good luck with the baby coming.

Teandra said...

Yikes, that would hurt. I'm sorry! Hope it heals fast

Blog Archive