Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A grown up room!

Since we've lived in our house our front room has been our toy room. When we moved in we didn't have any furniture for it so we thought we'd put it to good use. Although it was nice to have the kids play right there, that was also a problem to have them right there! These last few months the toys have been EVERYWHERE. I've even found them in the kitchen pantry!? So about a week ago I snapped! And as Brian described it, I DECLARED that the toys were going into the finished room in the basement. Brian was all for it, but it would still be an empty room because we still didn't have furniture for it. I looked on KSL Classifieds very discouraged because car repairs have sucked us dry of any excess money. Then a light bulb went off in my head, we have a couch! It's been in Brian's parents basement for a few years. It's not a super nice or pretty couch but I don't have room to be picky at the moment. So I decided to make it a front room/library.


The best part, I haven't spent a dime on this room! The couch is an old one, the big bookcase was in our bedroom, the little bookcase has always been in there and the toy box, (I decided to keep the kids books up here and the toy box with a few toys. Mainly if we ever have friends over and their kids are too little to go up and down the stairs. And for Ray too.) and the piano was free! The mirror was my mom's, and she was going to DI it. So I took it and spray painted the wood black. The blue paint and ceiling paint we've just had from other projects. I do need a little more, but I will get more eventually. Ok so I did have to buy a little bit of fabric and stuffing for the pillows.
The stars and picture frames I've had for years. I do feel like it needs a rug or coffee table, and we will get one eventually.

This piano is from a family friend of ours that was going to DI it. Brian happened to have mentioned to my mom we were looking for a piano, but didn't have a lot of money to spend. My mom mentioned it to my brother Jason and he knew his mother in law was getting rid of hers. So he called us and we took it off her hands about 2 days later. It really needs to be tuned, but when it's free paying to have it tuned isn't a big deal. It helps to tell people when your looking for a deal. Thanks Mom, Jason, and Lorrie! And Grandpa Glen and Potter for helping us move it.


I LOVE having a front room. I haven't picked up a toy in weeks! I feel it's really simplified my life. Plus it's always nice to have a "pretty room" when people come to visit. I told Brian we now have a room to put the Christmas tree without having to completely rearrange the room. Ahhh, life is good. :)


4 comments:

Katies Korner said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see it for really :)

Jessica said...

Well done Ann! I've thought about that a few times, why you didn't keep the kids' toys downstairs. That's got to be so nice!! I love your pillows, such fun colors. And a free piano? Holy cow, can't beat that!

Jen said...

the room looks great! FREE is the best! Your home always looks so good!

Carlee said...

Hey that looks great! Isn't decorating fun? :)

Blog Archive